AstronomyPictureOfTheDay 3.0

I finally fixed one of the lingering “issues” I’ve had since migrating
from Tiger to Leopard last month. Something in the Automator actions
or other behavior changed in my AstronomyPictureOfTheDay app and
every morning I have been greeted with 2 Safari windows. One is the
usual window showing the description of the image downloaded that
night, and the other is the local copy of the image. I don’t need to
see the latter, and it seemed a little sloppy so I wanted to fix it.

After some fiddling around with “View Results” actions I determined
that the local filename was being added to the output chain by “Set
the Desktop Picture”. So where before I had a chain of actions that
only sent the remote URL to the final “Show Web page” action, now I
needed to filter the data. Throwing a variable into the mix did not
solve the problem. I’m not sure how the variable is supposed to work
– it seems like it should replace the output instead of extending
it. So I took the brute force option and inserted a shell script to
filter the URLs before opening them.

So if you’ve been running an earlier version of
AstronomyPictureOfTheDay under Leopard, grab the new one and give
it a try. As usual, email me with any problems.