OpenStack Server Version Numbering
Last week the OpenStack community held our summit to discuss the work we will be doing during the “Liberty” release cycle over the next six months. On Friday, several of us met to discuss how we should specify versions for the server projects. Unlike the other sessions where there are etherpads for notes, we used a whiteboard and took pictures. This post includes the picture, along with a transcription of the text.
- 2015.1.0 -> All “servers” but Swift
- 2.3.0 -> Swift (“marketing-loaded” semver)
- 3.1.0 -> libraries (semver)
- 2.5.2 /
Option 1 – Switch everything to semver
- Distros need to specify an epoch
- Pain to translate series to version
Option 2 – Evolve yearly format
- 2015.1.0 -> 2016.
- no 2015.2
- Not sure how this would actually work
Option 1, using semver.
Start with the next version 12, since Kilo was release 11.
Distros should use the epoch 1 (or the next higher value, if they already have an epoch assigned) so these new version numbers sort after the current releases.